My brother and sister-in-law are renting a studio apt in my building and are in the process of moving back to NY! We are looking forward to spending more time with them and for Mabel to get to know “Uncle Tay” and “Aunt Ro” better.
In the meantime, Ro is beginning to decorate her space and I’ve appointed myself decorating consultant. Fortunately, she seems somewhat receptive.
Here are the images I took of the empty space before they moved in, along with a rough floorplan:
Ro is moving fast and I want to help by providing both inspiration and sources. We’ll talked a lot about her vision for the space and I am loving her “muted modern minimalism with a side of mid century” style. Think bright, airy, minimal color (whites, creams, greys), lots of textures and the clean lines of mid century furniture.
Here’s my shopping list for Ro:
- A mid-century console to anchor the living room and project their screen over.
- A side chair for the living room – Ro originally mentioned the Eames rocker, but I think they need something more loungey for the living room.
- Floor and desk lamps – there’s no overhead light in the main living space, so this is crucial.
- A round ottoman to act as coffee table/tv tray.
- A few stools, benches, poufs or floor pillows to create additional seating around the ottoman.
- A patterned grey tone rug to layer under the sheepskin. Washed out oriental rugs are a lovely way to add pattern and texture without being overwhelming.
- A long desk with double desk chairs in their “study” by the large windows – I’m excited about this area because they will be able to move their desk away from the wall and move the stools/desk chairs to create a dinner table and seating for when they are entertaining. Ro could put her Eames rocker or maybe the Ghost chair here.
- Shelves above the desk
- A rug for the desk area (oops, didn’t include in my mood board!)
- Long, billowly curtains framing both windows
- Textured pillows (didn’t get to this either!)
- Black and white artwork – The key is oversized and simple. Above their bed, they could take a blank canvas and write a phrase in small letters in the middle. Simple and beautiful.
- A plant or two
Additional options and inspiration photos on my “For Ro” Pinterest board. Happy decorating and shopping, Ro!